The BADA is Samsung’s operating system which was built to power low end Smartphones. The BADA means OCEAN in korean.It can accommodate various applications created by developers.
Samsung announced the Bada platform on November 2009.After the announcement, the Wave S8500 was first shown at Mobile World Congress 2010 in Barcelona . At that time, applications running on the first Bada phone were demonstrated, including Gameloft‘s Asphalt 5.
After the launch, companies such as Twitter, EA, Capcom showed their support for the Bada platform.Sales of Wave S8500 topped 1 million in the European market four months after its debut according to the source. Germany, France and Austria markets are the hottest markets in Europe where Wave become one of three best sellers.
Samsung started the Bada Developer Challenge with a total prize of $2,700,000 (USD).The BADA is not an Operating system actually.It is a Platform,which is configurable.
The vision of bada is “Smartphone for Everyone”.Samsung claims that BADA was not built to compete with other Smartphone platforms.The series of WAVE phones of Samsung work with BADA.
Samsung’s first phone running the Bada platform was the Wave S8500. The Wave is a slim touchscreen phone powered by Samsung’s “Hummingbird” CPU,which includes a 1 GHz ARM Cortex-A8 CPU and a built-in PowerVR SGX 3D graphics engine, “Super AMOLED” screen and 720p high-def video capabilities. The S8500 is however, as of now, a defunct phone.
The Good side of BADA:
- Simple to use and easy to develop
- Easy development environment
- Rich UI components
- ultimate application experience(as claimed by the company)
- Flash support
- Easy customization.
in-app-purchasing and SNS integration
The darker side of BADA
- The external sensor API is not open-ended, preventing new types of sensors,unexpected technology developments from being added in future.
- performance and privacy issues
- Bada applications cannot access the SMS/MMS inbox or receive incoming SMS/MMS notifications
- Bada application framework only allows one Bada application to run at a time. Multitasking applications is possible between the native applications and one Bada application.
Conclusion:The BADA is a real close competitor to the Android.but the latter is still better,starting from apps to multimedia etc..