The latest android version is the android 3.0.1-Honeycomb.It is based on Linux kernel 2.6.36.It’s SDK for tablets was released on feb,2011.
This android version is meant only for Tablets(large screen devices).In the same month,the first android device working in this version was released by Motorola,The Motorola ZOOM.
The main changes in Android 3.0 centers around the changes in Multi-tasking,Notification enhancement.Applications for Android 3.0 are able to use an extended set of UI objects, powerful graphics, and media capabilities.Thus users will be engaged in new ways.
The official video,featuring the changes and advantages of android 3.0 is here:
Here are some important features added in Honeycomb version,which makes it unique from the previous ones:
- Action Bar: Access to contextual options, navigation, widgets,etc,at the top of the screen.
- A better interface.
- Advanced keyboard:To make entering text fast and accurate on larger screen sizes with greater accuracy and efficiency
- Camera: Quick access to exposure, focus, zoom, front-facing camera,time-lapse,etc
- Gallery: View albums and other collections in full-screen mode, with easy access to thumbnails for other photos.
- Contacts: New two-pane UI and Fast Scroll to let users easily organize and locate contacts.(The previous versions weren’t much easier when it comes to this Phonebook aspect)
- Email: New two-pane UI to make viewing and organizing messages more efficient. The app lets users select one or more messages
- Video chat support for Google talk
- multi core processors support
- Browser: Multiple tabs replace browser windows, form auto-fill.
- a new “incognito” mode allows anonymous browsing.
- Easier to use Copy/paste.
- System Bar: Quick access to notifications, status, and soft navigation buttons available at the bottom of the screen.
New Features for Android developers:
- New UI framework for creating great tablet apps
- High-performance 2D and 3D graphics
- Rich multimedia and connectivity
- enterprise enhancements
Here are some screenshots of the Android 3.0: